Saturday, January 28, 2017

Quilting with Laura

Last Spring, Dennis, the Andover national sales representative visited Jackman's Fabrics and gave a presentation regarding their Little House on the Prairie fabric line.  The Andover presentation are so fun and informative - if you ever have a chance to sit in on one, do it!  Over the last few years, we were lucky enough to have 2 Downton Abbey presentations, as well as the Little House on the Prairie show.

I staked my claim on the fabrics early on, as soon as I knew they were being ordered for the shop, and I was asked to provide a few quilts for the presentation and display.  Along with Country Haven, Lunch Box Social, and the Carpenter's Star, I made this quilt, Quilting with Laura from all of the tiny leftover scraps.
I've had this book for many years (it was first published in 1999) and after seeing my friend Vicki's beautiful purple bed-sized version of the quilt, I had a renewed interest in making it.  I love scrappy quilts and I also love sampler quilts; this little doll quilt is the perfect combination of both!  It wasn't until I learned about Andover's licensing of the Little House on the Prairie images that I decided that, of course, now was the time!

The pattern book is a bit tough to follow.  There are pretty good directions for most of the blocks included in the quilt.  I did have to do quite a bit of math, though.  There was some simple counting to figure out how many of each block I would have to make, but again, that was the easy part.  When it came to piecing the whole top together, the author gives a primitive diagram that includes finished border sizes.  I spent many hours with blocks on the design wall figuring measurements for filler strips and block frames to make everything fit together nicely.  It was worth it - I finished the little quilt up with a little meander and I am so pleased with the outcome!

Quilting with Laura
Designer:  Linda Halpin (Simple Appeal)
Size: approx. 37x46
Featured Fabric Line: Little House on the Prairie (Andover)
Panto:  allover small meander
Quilting Thread:  Madeira AeroQuilt (8010 - White)

Disclosure: I received supplies to make this project from Jackman's Fabrics in Fairview Heights, IL.  The quilt will be hung as a shop sample in their store to promote sale of both the pattern and fabric lines.  In exchange, the quilt will be returned to me and becomes my property at the end of the promotion.  They did not require me to write a positive review of any of the products.  The opinions I have expressed are my own.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

For fun stuff happening today in the blog-o-sphere, check out the link-ups on my sidebar!

<\br> Heather

1 comment:

I love to read your comments and I'll try my best to answer any questions. Please, just let me know you've dropped by!